Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Surgery

Our surgery time was bright and early, thank goodness, Sadie couldn't eat anything prior to surgery. We showed up, they quickly checked us in and banded us with the traditional, highly fashionable hospital bracelets. We sat down and waited for them to call us back to the pre op area.

In no time at all, we were called back. They gave us a cute gown for Sadie, she loved it, I watched the clock on the wall, tick.....tick....tick the time would soon be near where the nurse would come take my little one away to the O.R.


Going into surgery I knew that we would be able to hang out with her until right before they took her back to the OR, but no one ever warned me how hard it would be to watch your child be carried back to the OR. I have watch Jake be wheeled back to the OR and that was hard, but watching your helpless kid being taken back took hard to watch to a whole new level. I choked back tears as I headed to the waiting room. Trying to be strong for my little girl.


I sat waiting impatiently for a nurse to come out and call our names, to notify us that Sadie was done with surgery. I watched as one by one other parents were called back, the time slowly ticked.


Soon enough they called us back, the Doc informed us they had placed tubes and removed adenoids, (prior to surgery he was unsure if he would remove the adenoids, he said he would wait until they performed the surgery to determine if it was necessary) Surprise, surprise it looks like abnormally big adenoids run in the family. I had my adenoids removed when I was 22 (they are supposed to dissolve when you are a kid, mine did not) Sadie's adenoids were huge and affecting her breathing, and drainage so the Doc decided it would be best to remove them. 

The recovery of this surgery is surprisingly fast. After sleeping on and off all day my little girl was up and ready to run the next day, as if surgery had never taken place. I am so thankful for modern medicine and good doctors that know how to help me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment